Generic name: dicyclomine (oral/injection) [ dye-SYE-kloe-meen ]
Brand names: Bentyl, Dibent, Dicyclocot
Drug class: Anticholinergics / antispasmodics
What is Bentyl?
Bentyl is used to treat functional bowel or irritable bowel syndrome .
Bentyl may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Many drugs can affect Bentyl. Tell your doctor about all your current medicines.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use Bentyl if you are allergic to it, or if you have:
- glaucoma ;
- a bladder obstruction or other urination problems;
- a blockage in your digestive tract (stomach or intestines);
- severe ulcerative colitis ;
- gastroesophageal reflux disease ( GERD );
- a serious heart condition and active bleeding;
- myasthenia gravis ; or
- if you are breastfeeding a baby.
Not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old. Bentyl should never be given to a child younger than 6 months old.
Tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- heart problems or high blood pressure ;
- a stroke;
- ulcerative colitis ;
- an ileostomy or colostomy ;
- an enlarged prostate ; or
- liver or kidney disease.
Older adults may be more sensitive to the effects of Bentyl.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant.
Do not breastfeed.
How should I take Bentyl?
Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
Bentyl oral is taken by mouth.
Measure liquid medicine with the supplied syringe or a dose-measuring device (not a kitchen spoon).
Bentyl injection is given in a muscle if you are unable to take the medicine by mouth.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after 2 weeks.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Detailed Bentyl dosage information
What happens if I miss a dose?
Skip the missed dose and use your next dose at the regular time. Do not use two doses at one time.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose can cause nausea , vomiting , dilated pupils, weakness or loss of movement in any part of your body, trouble swallowing, fainting, or seizure (convulsions).
What should I avoid while taking Bentyl?
May cause dizziness or blurred vision. Avoid driving or hazardous activity until you know how Bentyl will affect you.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Bentyl can decrease sweating and you may be more prone to heat stroke. Tell your doctor if you have a fever while taking this medicine.
Avoid using an antacid. Antacids can make it harder for your body to absorb Bentyl oral.
Bentyl side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives ; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- fast or slow heartbeats, pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
- confusion, agitation , hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- problems with memory or speech;
- problems with balance or muscle movement;
- diarrhea , severe constipation , or worsening of bowel symptoms;
- trouble swallowing;
- bruising, swelling, or pain where a Bentyl injection was given; or
- dehydration –dizziness, confusion, feeling very thirsty, less urination or sweating.
Confusion and mood or behavior changes may be more likely in older adults.
Common side effects may include:
- drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, nervousness ;
- blurred vision;
- dry mouth; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Bentyl side effects (more detail)
What other drugs will affect Bentyl?
Using Bentyl with other drugs that make you drowsy can worsen this effect. Ask your doctor before using opioid medication, a sleeping pill, a muscle relaxer, or medicine for anxiety or seizures .
Tell your doctor about all your current medicines. Many drugs can affect Bentyl, especially:
- bronchodilator asthma medication;
- cold or allergy medicine ( Benadryl and others);
- glaucoma medication;
- heart medication;
- medicine to treat depression , anxiety, mood disorders, or mental illness;
- medicine to treat overactive bladder ;
- medicine to treat Parkinson’s disease ; or
- medicine to treat stomach problems, motion sickness , or irritable bowel syndrome.
This list is not complete and many other drugs may affect Bentyl. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins , and herbal products . Not all possible drug interactions are listed here.
source :: https://www.drugs.com/bentyl.html