Generic name: aclidinium and formoterol [ A-kli-DIN-ee-um-and-for-MOE-ter-ol ]
Brand name: Duaklir Pressair
Dosage form: inhalation powder (400 mcg-12 mcg/inh)
Drug class: Bronchodilator combinations
What is aclidinium and formoterol?
Aclidinium and formoterol is a combination medicine used to prevent airflow obstruction and reduce flare-ups in adults with COPD ( chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ), including bronchitis and emphysema .
aclidinium and formoterol is for use only in people with COPD and should not be used to treat asthma .
Aclidinium and formoterol may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Aclidinium and formoterol is for use only in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and should not be used to treat asthma.
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to aclidinium or formoterol, or if you have a severe allergy to milk proteins.
Aclidinium and formoterol is not a rescue medicine. It will not work fast enough to treat an bronchospasm attack.
Seek medical attention if your breathing problems do not improve, or if your symptoms get worse quickly.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use aclidinium and formoterol if you are allergic to aclidinium or formoterol, or if you have a severe allergy to milk proteins.
Tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- heart disease, high blood pressure ;
- a seizure;
- glaucoma ;
- a thyroid disorder; or
- an enlarged prostate or urination problems.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Aclidinium and formoterol is not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old.
Trelegy Ellipta , prednisone , Symbicort , Breo Ellipta , Ventolin , Xopenex , Ventolin HFA
How should I use aclidinium and formoterol?
Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
Aclidinium and formoterol is not a rescue medicine for bronchospasm attacks. Use only fast-acting inhalation medicine for an attack. Seek medical attention if your breathing problems get worse quickly, or if you think your medications are not working as well.
Read and carefully follow any Instructions for Use provided with your medicine. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you do not understand these instructions.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light. Do not store this medicine on a vibrating surface. Keep the inhaler device in the sealed bag until ready to start using it.
Throw the inhaler away 2 months after opening the sealed bag, or when the dose indicator shows a zero, or if your inhaler is empty and locks out (whichever comes first).
You should not stop using aclidinium and formoterol suddenly. Stopping suddenly may make your condition worse.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Skip the missed dose and use your next dose at the regular time. Do not use two doses at one time. Do not use more than 1 inhalation 2 times in a 24-hour period.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose symptoms may include include blurred vision, dry mouth, nausea , muscle spasms, tremors, headache , and fast or pounding heartbeats.
What should I avoid while using aclidinium and formoterol?
Do not use a second inhaled bronchodilator that contains formoterol, arformoterol, indacaterol, olodaterol, salmeterol , or formoterol.
Aclidinium and formoterol side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives ; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Aclidinium and formoterol may cause serious side effects. Call your doctor at once if you have:
- wheezing, choking, or other breathing problems after using aclidinium and formoterol;
- worsening breathing problems;
- tremors, nervousness , chest pain, fast or pounding heartbeats;
- severe headache, pounding in your neck or ears;
- painful or difficult urination, or urinating more often;
- blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain or redness, or seeing halos around lights;
- high blood sugar–increased thirst or urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor; or
- low potassium level–leg cramps, constipation , irregular heartbeats, fluttering in your chest, numbness or tingling, muscle weakness or limp feeling.
Common side effects of aclidinium and formoterol may include:
- back pain ; or
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat .
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Aclidinium / formoterol side effects (more detail)
Aclidinium and formoterol dosing information
Usual Adult Dose for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease — Maintenance:
1 inhalation twice daily (morning and evening)
Maximum dose: 2 inhalations per day
Detailed Aclidinium / formoterol dosage information
What other drugs will affect aclidinium and formoterol?
Tell your doctor about all your other medicines, especially:
- atropine ;
- antifungal, or antiviral medicine;
- monoamine oxidase inhibitors , tricyclic antidepressants , drugs that prolong QT interval;
- medicine to treat depression , anxiety , mood disorders, or mental illness;
- cold or allergy medicine ( Benadryl and others);
- medicine to treat Parkinson’s disease ;
- medicine to treat stomach problems, motion sickness , or irritable bowel syndrome ;
- medicine to treat overactive bladder ; or
- another bronchodilator medication.
This list is not complete. Other drugs may affect aclidinium and formoterol, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins , and herbal products . Not all possible interactions are listed in this medication guide.