What are other common names?
- Piper methysticum
- Ava Pepper
- Ava Root
- Intoxicating Long Pepper
- Intoxicating Pepper
- Kava Kava
- Kava Pepper
- Kava Root
- Kawa Kawa
- Kawa Pepper
- Long Pepper
What is this product used for?
Kava is used to help lower anxiety and as a sleep aid. It may also relax muscles.
What are the precautions when taking this product?
- Always check with your doctor before you use a natural product. Some products may not mix well with drugs or other natural products.
- Be sure to tell your doctor that you take this product if you are scheduled for surgery or tests.
- Do not use this product if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant soon. Use birth control you can trust while taking this product.
- Do not breastfeed while using this product.
- Avoid beer, wine, and mixed drinks (alcohol) while taking this product.
- This product may cause you to be sleepy. Take extra care driving and doing tasks that you need to be alert for.
- Take extra care if you are taking drugs that make you drowsy or help you sleep. These are drugs like lorazepam (Ativan), phenobarbital (Donnatal), zolpidem (Ambien), or diphenhydramine (Benadryl).
- Take extra care and check with your doctor if you have:
- Kidney problems
- Liver problems
- Blood disorders
- Parkinson’s disease
- Low mood
- Heart problems
What should I watch for?
- Upset stomach
- Decreased amount of urine
- Eye irritation or problems seeing
- Loss of balance or problems walking
- Mouth numbness
- Scaly rash
When do I need to call the doctor?
- Signs of a very bad reaction. These include wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat. Go to the ER right away.
- Signs of liver problems. These include upset stomach or throwing up, belly pain, feeling tired, dark urine, yellow skin or eyes, not hungry.
- Very bad throwing up
- Very bad belly pain
- Very bad loose stools
- Very bad headache
- Too tired or sleepy
- Change in your ability to think clearly
source :: https://www.drugs.com/npc/kava.html